Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1st, 2nd, 3rd Century A.D....Impressive

Ok...before I move on to today's fun I have to say how proud I am of the students' presentations.  In previous blogs, I mentioned how they were struggling...as was I.  I made it to the Institute today to hear the one in particular which I had been helping with.  They did an excellent job and the teacher sounded pleased!  I was relieved and proud!!!  Congrats!!!!
Now...moving on...today was a typical day as far as language class goes.  We laughed, we listened to music, and we learned a little German.  After class, I had the pleasure of helping some students with a report and then learning a new card game.  Around 1:30, a group of us met to go the Roman Museum.  It was a small museum which actually turned out to be fairly interesting.  The city of Vienna was first mentioned in writing around 900 A.D. as Vindobona and is located 3,5 Meters or 11 1/2 feet under the current city.  The museum shows these ruins under the city as well as some of the finds from this time.  I must admit, I am extremely impressed with the futuristic skills of the Romans.  We were looking at things from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century which I didn't think possible at that time.  They had colanders, hair pins, needles, dice, jewelry, and all sorts of other neat things.  Of course, it may sound as if I am doubting the skills of the Romans but in fact, I am actually praising them.  The items were cool to see.  It was a nice 30 to 40 minute visit to the museum.  One of the best parts was the interactive section they had for kids.  Just because I was with college students doesn't mean they didn't enjoy that part as well.  In fact, they had the most fun playing with the fort and men.  I would have pics but my batteries died just before the children's portion =(  


Now I am home delaying my packing for the weekend.  I fly to Stuttgart tomorrow to visit Andrea for the weekend!  I'll be back on Monday so until then enjoy the Roman pics and have a wonderful weekend!  Love to all!!
Colander
Ruins
Pots with faces
   
Heating system under the floor
Map in relation to current Vienna (light gray section are the ruins)
Design of what the city would have looked like

     

No comments:

Post a Comment